IOWA CITY, Iowa – It has likely sunk in by now for the six winning Greco wrestlers from this past weekend’s Olympic Trials. The crowd noise, interviews, flash bulbs, and constant streams of ‘congratulations’ have now simmered down just a bit. After all, a few of them have to get back to work. But that doesn’t mean what went down at Carver-Hawkeye Arena is something we’ll soon forget. It is there where we saw:
- Two heavy favorites take the next step everyone was waiting for (Bisek and Smith).
- A warrior who had already walked the walk finds the bright lights once again (Provisor).
- A talented would-be star turn the tables when it mattered most (Perkins).
- The rise of a dragon-slayer who took out the two biggest names in his weight class in dominant fashion (Thielke).
- Perhaps the latest great example of perseverance and attitude to grace the sport (Rau).
So let’s take a look at the influx of well-wishes these athletes received on social media. Also, be sure to follow each of them on their quests to become Olympic champions!
Jesse Thielke, 59 kg (@)
Andy Bisek, 75 kg (@)
Ben Provisor, 85 kg (@)
Joe Rau, 98 kg (@)
Robby Smith, 130 kg (@)
Don’t worry. The winning Greco wrestlers from Saturday night will probably have to up their collective Twitter game a little bit for whatever PR reasons heading closer to Rio. So please follow and support these men as the Olympics draw closer. The best chance the athletes have is to know all of their friends, families, fans, and followers back home are in it together with them.